Battletech: The Frontier Lands :: Forums :: The Frontier Forums :: Advertising

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
My old Forum Post (BBCode w/ Pics)
Moderators: Stringfellow Hawke, Reinhart Steiner, Devlin Stone, Power Shaper, Ronas Alabar, Baeran, GeeOhDee, Rene Vergara, Kelvin McCorvin, Jonathon Grimm, Mike Matusov, Shabui Shima, Thaddeus Judas, Ajax, GreaseMonkey, Mad Tom, Michael Chang, Sable Tseng, Yushiro Toturi, Reload, Peter, Flak, Jolly 'Ol QB
Author Post
Kelvin McCorvin
Fri Dec 14 2007, 12:30AM
Handyman

Registered Member #2
I've attached an old BBpost that I used when I was actively handling ads. It has BBCode that works on most modern boards, complete with images and stuff. Feel free to adapt as you like and add your name to the bottom mentioning that players should set their referrer to you.

Sorry it's in a .zip, I was too lazy to add .txt to the list of acceptable upload extensions
1197610235_2_FT0_btmux_post.zip
Website
Kelvin McCorvin
Wed Dec 19 2007, 10:38PM
Handyman

Registered Member #2
Greetings,

I make a post to this nature periodically to let everyone know what's going on in an old, lesser known corner of the Battletech community. While our type of game has long since fallen out of the public eyes in favor of the shiney new ones such as Mechwarrior 4, MechCommander, and MechAssault, we remain in our little corner of the net, working hard on new goodies.

The Quick Run-Down
Battletech: The Frontier Lands is a BattletechMUX set on the Periphery planet Randis IV. Major and minor powers inside and surrounding the Inner Sphere have taken an interest in this planet for some unknown reason as of yet. Large scale combat between several houses and lesser powers has enveloped the insignificant rock of a planet, along with some of the unfortunate neighboring planets. Players take to the front lines, piloting their very own Mechs, Tanks, VTOLs, Power Armor, and eventually Aeros, Dropships, and Naval units.

The Twist
The game is completely free for everyone to play, as is the codebase. We offer a fully persistant, always changing game that's available to pretty much everyone around the world, but the catch is that it's largely text-based. While we are definitely not to be considered a MUD, we share a somewhat remotely similar heritage in that our medium is primarily that of a text-based one. Although there are two released semi-graphical HUDs and a completely 3D HUD in development.

Gameplay - Clients
The Frontier (and BattletechMUXs in general) can be played with a graphical HUD or a traditional MU* client. Both THUD and Xpertmud are publicly released and in good shape, and there is a third 3D HUD in the works. See some screenshots below:

http://docs.btmux.com/images/thumb/3/38/Thudpic.jpg/746px-Thudpic.jpg - THUD
http://docs.btmux.com/images/5/5d/Xpertmud_small.gif - Xpertmud
http://squishywaffle.com/ChudFrontierMap.avi - A video of the 3D HUD's terrain engine demo. This has yet to be released.

Gameplay - Movement and "Turns"
BattletechMUXs are real-time, just like a real-time strategy game. Things progress at a steady rate and aren't turn-based like the board game. You actually steer your unit around on a hex-based map, similar to the board game, but you adjust your speed, heading, and other movement settings as you go. Fighting is done by picking targets, maneuvering within range, and engaging in ranged or close quarters combat. You can perform most of the familiar old physical attacks, even the infamous "death from above." You will find the combat system, while intimidating looking, is actually very easy to use with some practice, and is very detailed and depthful. This is particularly so with the aid of a graphical HUD, which drastically lowers the learning curve.
[ image disabled ]

Gameplay - Objectives
Players battle for control over various objectives such as bases, relays, generators, and other implacements via a capture system. The current state of the map can be see on our map page. You can quickly see base ownership on there based on the colors. Blue is Lyran, Red is Draconis, and Green is Capellan. The game is up 24 hours a day and the terrain is constantly changing hands and being battled over. Fights for a single base may go on for hours at a time, with every hex gained being precious.

[ image disabled ]

Reasonably True to Classic Battletech
We currently have over a thousand Classic Battletech units templated and in-game. You can pilot everything from a Flea to a massive Atlas, or a Infiltrator Battlesuit to a Cavalry-SRM VTOL. Most of our rules are directly from the BMR, with a smattering of Maxtech and some adaptations of turn-based rules to our real-time environment. We implement some of the Solaris techs that are used in special events, and some other assorted fun things. For a list of units that are currently in supply out of the aforementioned thousand, see our online TRO.

Getting Involved
[ image disabled ]
Those with programming experience can be put to work assisting in adding more technologies for use between any of the existing BattletechMUXs out there under our BattletechMUX Codebase project, which the Frontier is the flagship game for.

Detailed Stat Tracking
We have taken to collecting stats for the players recently, offering a wide variety of ways to brag and extend your e-phallus. Take a look at one of our player's profile pages for more details. Note the nifty automated forum signature on the bottom We also offer Kill Stats and player rankings.

The good thing about a homegrown game such as this is we are very open to new ideas for extending our stat offerings, and those with web scripting and SQL experience can get involved in the development.

[ image disabled ]

Enlist you friends, form outfits!
Players have the option of forming their own outfits. These are sub-groups within factions of sort. They can share resources and have some additional abilities to help cooridnate things within the group. In the future there may be tournaments that pit your outfits against others out there for actual prizes like Classic Battletech TROs and Source Books (We have done said contests in the past with good results). Check out some of the existing outfits on our outfit ranking page.

Play in a Decently Documented Environment
We have taken a rather open approach to documentation. You'll find a wealth of information about the game on the Frontier Section of the BattletechMUX wiki. There are a number of designated players that have been tasked with helping newcomers get accustomed as well, augmenting our automated training system.

In Conclusion
Battletech: The Frontier Lands is a great way to burn some time here and there and despite being text-based, is often found to be much more immersive than graphical Battletech games. Because of the lack of real graphics, the pace of development is very fast and we often respond to requests and suggestions within 24 hours, sometimes implementing requests within 15 minutes or less. Time has seen us evolve into something much more advanced and far-reaching compared to the BattletechMUXs of old. If you haven't played since BattletechMUSE or for more than 2 years, I strongly encourage you to stop by and see where BattletechMUX has ended up.

On the same token, if you are a complete newcomer to BattletechMUX or Battletech in general, we welcome you to stop by and play as well. We're a generally friendly lot and would love to have some more bodies to shoot...err, play with If this sounds good to you, stop by our Getting Started page. We hope to see you in-game!
Website
Nathan Bekker
Thu Dec 20 2007, 02:16AM
Registered Member #1615
Test for Something Awful thread

Welcome to The Frontier Lands
Q: What is The Frontier Lands?

Battletech: The Frontier Lands is a real-time simulation of the ever popular table top strategy game that spawned the preeminent mecha franchise for those of us who aren't from Japan.

Q: Why should I play?

WHAT?! You're kidding right? There are Mechs. LASERS. PEW PEW.

You get to drive one of these around:
[ image disabled ]

And blow shit up. What more do you need to know?

Q: Whats the Catch?

[ image disabled ]

It's not very pretty. But if you are a true fan of the franchise you're not going to come nearly as close with any other sim for fidelity to the original tabletop game in real time. Besides, you're going to be playing with goons!

Q: Why The Frontier Lands?

The Frontier Lands is a team-based battlefield simulation, where three major inner sphere factions (Draconis Combine, Lyran Commonwealth, Capellan Confederation) brawl for control of the planet Randis IV. The combat revolves around base control, with factions fighting for control points across a series of maps featuring a full variety of terrain from cities to arctic tundra.

[ image disabled ]

With a full scale economy featuring a EIGHT HUNDRED AND NINETY SIX separate units that can be owned and rented, there is an endless variety of combat units that players will encounter on the battlefield. If there is a Mech, Tank, Battlesuit or VTOL you want to drive, it's probably available for use. If you have ever dreamed of facing down 100-ton, 50 foot tall Battlemechs in your jeep with only a machine gun, this game is FOR YOU.

Q: ALRIGHT I'M SOLD

That's not a fucking question :mad:

If you are wondering where to start, click here and follow this incredibly detailed guide :downs: here Or keep reading the next post for a guide that will hold your hand right through to your first combat!

Note that to use the graphical client, you will need the Javascript codebase installed. If you click "Launch Graphical Client" and everything loads fine, then you have nothing to worry about!

AND BEST OF ALL, ITS FREE

Lost as to how to play? Jump to the next post for a step-by-step goon made guide to getting right into the action!

[ Edited Thu Dec 20 2007, 02:17AM ]
Kelvin McCorvin
Thu Dec 20 2007, 10:06AM
Handyman

Registered Member #2
Looks good aside from a few things I noticed.
  • The images you linked seem to be borked. You probably noticed that already.
  • The main page here is http://frontiermux.com, not http://btmux.com. This is somewhat important for traffic tracking and it's the domain we advertise under now.
  • They'll need Java 1.4 or higher, not JavaScript (huge difference!)

That's all I've got, hopefully Chang will stop by soon and take a peek.
Website
Michael Chang
Thu Dec 20 2007, 06:46PM
Registered Member #1873
Yup, definitely glad I didn't try to put together a SA post, laughs... you definitely got the SA culture handled. It looks good to me, other than the things that KM posted, plus I'm not sure about the upcoming scen changes and how that would affect the whole "every unit available" thing... but eh, looks good to me. I'd say lets fire it up, along with those banners for SA.
Michael Chang
Sat Dec 22 2007, 03:29AM
Registered Member #1873
Hey Rhobot, sent you a @mail, but the @mail system has been shaky at best, so posting here to go ahead and throw up the SA post above. Go ahead and send a @mail, email, or PM to both KM and I when you do please, including the URL so some banners can be thrown up to point to the post. Thanks man!

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF